I was horrifically burnt after Argos hot water bottle BURST over me – now I have to hide scars & permanently wear SPF 50

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp

A WOMAN who suffered horrific burns after an Argos hot water bottle burst all over her has revealed she has to wear SPF 50 at all times.

Jacqueline Mackinnon, of Manchester, was left struggling to walk for days on crutches as a result of the severe burns.

Jacqueline was gifted a hot water bottle for her birthday

The hot water left horrible blisters on her skin

Jacqueline’s husband bought the hot water of bottle from Argos to ease her joint pain caused by her arthritis.

But the gift became a living in nightmare when she was left scarred forever.

After filling the £20 silicone bottle with hot water, she placed it on her legs.

But the couple were left in shock when the bottle seam completely split open causing the searing water to pour over her and leaving her in excruciating pain.

Months after the horrific incident, she still has to put SPF 50 sun cream on the scarred area whenever she steps outside.

The 49-year-old said: “It was literally like having a boiling kettle poured on your body.

“The pain was unbearable. I’ve never felt pain like that in my life. 

“I do have arthritis and mobility problems, so that’s why I use it on my legs. But I never got out of bed so quickly in my life.

“Thankfully my husband got me into a cool water bath and got me and then wrapped the leg in plastic film.”

The couple then rushed to their local hospital with a huge blister all over her leg.

The severity of the wound meant Jacqueline had to spend four months undergoing treatment.

She now has to always put SPF 50 on the area before stepping outside her home.

HORROR BURNS

Jacqueline said: “I try to wear thick tights to hide it. I really shouldn’t hide it. But it’s not exactly very attractive.

“I had to go on crutches because I wasn’t allowed to put weight on my leg for two weeks.

“I’d have to use certain creams on it as well. I was on painkillers, so I had to have nearly a month off work.”

She also told how her cat was burnt and left with severe burns all over his body.

The sad pet owner said: ”We had to put him in a cat collar. He was in that for nearly four months because he’d got burns on his back.

“He’s very wary of anything coming near him now.”

Fuming Jacqueline is now slamming the Argos item for being “faulty”.

She blasted: “They’re just dangerous. I honestly think there is something wrong with them.

“It wasn’t pressed hard and there was no air in it, but it still caused that much damage.

“There was absolutely something wrong with the bottle because it felt thinner.

“I’ve had a whole lot more hot water bottles for years and I’ve never seen this happen.

What should you do if you suffer a burn?

Appropriate first aid must be used to treat any burns or scalds as soon as possible. This will limit the amount of damage to your skin.

You can apply the following first aid techniques to yourself or another person who’s been burnt:

Stop the burning process as soon as possible. This may mean removing the person from the area, dousing flames with water, or smothering flames with a blanket. Do not put yourself at risk of getting burnt as well.
Remove any clothing or jewellery near the burnt area of skin, including babies’ nappies. But do not try to remove anything that’s stuck to the burnt skin, as this could cause more damage.
Cool the burn with cool or lukewarm running water for 20 minutes as soon as possible after the injury. Never use ice, iced water, or any creams or greasy substances like butter.
Keep yourself or the person warm. Use a blanket or layers of clothing, but avoid putting them on the injured area. Keeping warm will prevent hypothermia, where a person’s body temperature drops below 35C (95F). This is a risk if you’re cooling a large burnt area, particularly in young children and elderly people.
Cover the burn with cling film. Lay the cling film over the burn, rather than wrapping it around a limb. A clean, clear plastic bag can be used for burns on your hand.
Treat the pain from a burn with paracetamol or ibuprofen. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions when using over-the-counter medication. Children under 16 years of age should not be given aspirin.
Raise the affected area, if possible. This will help to reduce swelling.

Once you have taken these steps, you’ll need to decide whether further medical treatment is necessary. 

Go to a hospital accident and emergency (A&E) department for:

large burns bigger than the size of the affected person’s hand
deep burns of any size that cause white or charred skin
burns on the face, neck, hands, feet, any joints, or genitals
all chemical and electrical burns
any other injuries that need treating
any signs of shock – symptoms include cold, clammy skin, sweating, rapid, shallow breathing, and weakness or dizziness

You should also go to hospital if you or the person who has been burned:

is under the age of 10
has a medical condition, such as heart, lung or liver disease, or diabetes
has a weakened immune system (the body’s defence system) – for example, because of HIV or AIDS, or because they’re having chemotherapy for cancer

Source: NHS

“I’m just thankful that it happened on my leg, not on my belly or my face.”

The hot water bottle is no longer available for purchase on the Argos website.

The frightened woman has now vowed to never use a hot bottle water again and is urging others to stay away.

She said: “I now have to use wheat bags. I will never touch a hot water bottle in my life again.

“Now whenever I go shopping and I see somebody even go near hot water balls, I will go up to them and say ‘please, don’t buy that’.

“And I just show them my leg.”

Although the item was manufactured by the brand YuYu, Argos claimed it is investigating the issue.

An Argos spokesperson said: “Safety is our highest priority. We have offered this product for many years and we have not received any other complaints of this nature.

“We are contacting the customer about their experience so that we can support the manufacturer’s investigation.”

Manufacturer YuYu has been approached for comment.

She had to get time off work because of the intense pain

Jacqueline now has a huge scar all over her leg

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp
error: